Title: “Summary of Current Travel Warnings”
Class: Travel Warnings
- Exercise normal safety precautions in the United States. Use common sense and look out for suspicious behaviour, as you would in your home country. Monitor the media and other sources for information on local travel conditions.
- Reconsider your need to travel to the US Virgin Islands and the US territory of Puerto Rico. Major damage to buildings and infrastructure has occurred due to Hurricane Maria.
- The United States Government has implemented enhanced security screening measures for all commercial flights to the United States.
- United States authorities actively pursue, detain and deport people who are in the US illegally.
- Most visitors travelling on their nation’s passport are not affected by the Presidential Proclamation of 24 September 2017, that is intended to suspend or limit the entry of nationals of Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Syria, Venezuela, Yemen and Somalia into the United States.
- Visitors who have travelled to Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria or Yemen since 1 March 2011 must apply for a US visa as they are not eligible to enter under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).
- Terrorism is a threat throughout the world. There is currently a heightened threat of terrorist attack in the United States caused by those motivated by extremists.
- The United States has more violent crime than most other countries, although it rarely involves tourists. Shootings, including mass shootings can occur in public places.
- Many parts of the United States are subject to natural hazards. If you are in affected areas, you should monitor media reports and follow the instructions of local authorities.
- Transmission of the Zika virus has been reported in the United States, in southern Florida and Cameron County, Texas. For Australians, Check the Australian Government Department of Health website and the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website for further information.
- Before boarding a US-bound aircraft or vessel, all passport-holders eligible to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) must apply for an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA).
Esta Application | Apply for your ESTA | Electronics System for Travel Authorization
Travelling the USA